Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changes to NDS objects 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

phart

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2001
US
I am running Netware 6.5 sp4. When I reboot my server, for various reasons (hardware, hung backup). If the users have changed their passwords within the previous week or so then Netware does not remember that they have changed them and the users must enter their previous password. Also, this last time I added a new printer and after the reboot the new printer object was no longer there and a printer object that I removed was back. Does anyone have any ideas about why this is happening.

Is this the only NDS server in the tree? If not, is time sync working?

That would be very odd to see those symptoms in a single tree environment. Sounds like your replicas are not synchronizing, which as Lawnboy said, could be a result of time problems or other server communication issues.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Yes this is the only server in my tree. According to the Timesync debug screen timesync is showing no problems.

Well I have no idea why your single server would be acting that way, but I can tell you that you should grab some desktop pc with 512 MB ram in it and load NW6.5 on it. You'll then have a second machine holding a replica of NDS that your primary server will sync up with upon restart. It's a cheap, quick, and easy way to always have an up-to-date copy of your tree on hand. Priceless for disaster recovery.

It will not cost you another license, since 6.5 is licensed by number of users not number of servers. You have paid for as many servers as you need to run.

In fact, I'd move your backup services to the desktop machine so you can stop rebooting your primary. Netware works best when you leave it alone... I only reboot about once a year and that's because I take the servers down and clean them out physically.

Thanks for the help I will try to find a PC to use to hold a replica.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back