Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changes not made to objects in profile when switching from Xp to 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

techas

MIS
Apr 16, 2002
US
For the life of me I cant figure this one out. I open an excell or access object created on either an xp or NT Workstation or 2kpro, (my suspicions say any office suite object) make changes, save to the desktop of the profile, then log off of the xp machine on our 2k server, then log on to a w2k pro machine, open the office object and, surprise no changes have been saved. it's just like it was before I loaded the profile on the other OS. If I go from the same OS to the same OS the changes to items follow me, but the minute I switch OS's, It's like I have two documents floating around with the same name. Now roaming profiles are enabled and my root directory is on the exchange server, so shouldnt whatever is saved to the home profile folder be copied the next time you log on no matter what the OS is and hopefully what version the Office is. If anyone has seen this problem before I could use the help, I have to copy to a network drive what I should be able to store in a profile.
thanks,
Techass

Are you sure it's not a permission item? Running from two different OSses does at least give you two different local users (network/domain will probably be the same account), but there might be external references used by your objects?

Or, perhaps some objecthandler is not installed in the other OS' installation of office? (not very likely, but I have seen this happen before)

Ah, if on a network drive it *does* work, then it definitely _is_ a permission item.. try to add your network account to the NTFS permissions of both your desktops (or any directory you'll need access to) - that should fix it...

---
saybibi();
//john
#include <stddiscl.h>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back