Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changes in SQL Server won't update in my app

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnc83

Technical User
Jan 29, 2008
GB
Hi All,

hope this is the right place to post this question..

I am using VS2005 and I am having a problem getting my app to accept text into a textbox. Originally it only accepted 15 characters but I needed to enter something with 24 in.

I changed the column in SQL server Express 2005 and saved the table but it is still telling me the chars exceed the limit.

I have refreshed my dataset and now don't know what else to do?

Any help would be really appreciated..

John

.NET 2.0, Visual Studio 2005, SQL Server 2005 Express

Hi Again,

still struggling with this and thought a bit more info may help.

My SQl database has a table (tblCustomers) and a column (address2), the datatype of this column used to be varchar(15) but I then changed it to varchar(30) and saved the table.

In my .xsd file I have my tblCustomers (along with tableadapter) but when I click in column 'address2', it shows maxlength as 15. I could edit this directly from here but would be much more comfortable with updating the whole table somehow.

This should be possible surely?

John

John,

This would be more appropriate in forum796. However, that being said, I'm a little confused about your problem (but that may be due in part to my own unfamiliarity with .NET and XSD). Are you unable to enter the text into the textbox or are you able to enter the text but it doesn't save to your DB? If you cannot enter into the textbox, then you need to fix it so that it will allow for more than 15 characters. If you cannot save to the DB, then the problem lies there and you will need to correctly allow the column in your table to enter 30 characters (which it apparently isn't doing now).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
- Winston Churchill

Hi Chopstik, sorry for the wrong forum. Still finding my way.. :)

My actual textbox is limited to 30 chars, the column in my SQL database is 30 chars but the table (as viewed in the xsd in VS and has a tableadapter attached) still states 15 chars. Refreshing or reconfiguring the table makes no difference.

Im sure that deleting the table and re-configuring it would work but then all my tableadapter queries will be lost and I'd just like to know (for future mainly) that there is a way to get my database changes to reflect in VS properly.

Baffling me this one...

John

This goes a little beyond my ken and might be better addressed in the forum I mentioned earlier. I'll check in there later to see if someone was able to provide better assistance (and I'm curious to know for myself, too). Good luck and sorry I couldn't be of more help...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
- Winston Churchill

Can i transfer this to that forum or would you recommend starting the thread from scratch in there?

I would have posted in that forum originally if I'd have known it was there. Couldn't find it for some reason hence me posting in the closest one I could find..

No need to apologise Chopstik, glad to hear anything back on this post.

Cheers
John

You'll need to post separately in that thread.

- Winston Churchill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back