Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changes coming to Microsoft Certifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmcferrin

MIS
Jul 14, 2003
US
Over at the Microsoft Learning Blog there is news of some new changes being made to certification transcripts and certificates.

In June they are going to start printing them with "inactive dates," which basically amount to being an expiration date. I don't think that a lot of people knew that MCTS and MCITP certifications become inactive when the product in question is no longer in the "mainstream support" phase from Microsoft. Of those that did, I suspect that most of us assumed that would mean that the exams would no longer be available to earn the certification, not that certifications that we earned would show up on our transcripts as "inactive".

Needless to say, this is not sitting well with the community of Microsoft Certified Professionals.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Does this mean I can no longer put my MCSE+I on my resume/CV? :)

In all seriousness, it doesn't seem to me to have any impact, but that may be because no (prospective) employer has ever looked at my transcript, but I'd think if they did they'd understand that an exam's status may be inactive but that has no bearing on the employee's mastery of the knowledge tested.

I mostly agree.

The question about whether you can put old certifications on your CV is an interesting one. There actually are rules as to how you represent your certifications, so if they change those then it might be an issue.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

You can always list your old certifications on your resume, you did earn them. What the inactive means, is that if you don't get the new version of the cert for the new version of the product, you can't say that you are "currently" certified in that certification.

Personally I think it's stupid.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back