Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changed router signal from G to B and now desktop crashes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

themuffinboy

Technical User
Jun 21, 2011
US
okay, soo me and my brothers have had DSs for a while.. but the onlie would never work. and after a bunch of googling i found out that my router had to be on "B" and not G or N... so i used my old Windows XP desktop to log into my router and change the signal to B... right after i hit that my computer restarted... and it still continues to restart whenever i turn it on. it makes it to the WINDOWS XP screen and then starts over again. After plugging out my little linksys thingy in the back of my computer it now turns on... but it's quite useless without the internet.. any idea why this is happening?

newer routers with APs built in should be able to do a mix of B + G so your PCs connect with 54Mbit (G) and older devices can connect at 12Mbit (B) - N is for high speed 300Mbit wireless.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Unplug router from power.
Power up router & connect to PC
Reboot PC, if problem still exist - reboot in Safe Mode
After rebooting in Safe Mode, access router and change signal back to default

Safe Mode with networking or you'll be out of luck.

But my comment is this: I don't think it has anything to do with the router. It's likely old or corrupted drivers for the wireless card OR a damaged card.

Update drivers or try another card. Try it connected via ethernet cable with wireless card removed or disabled in Device Manager.

If either of the above work, then it's the card or the drivers as BadBigBen said.

okay thank you guys!! how would i go about updating the drivers for the card?

go to the manufacturers website, then identify your "little linksys thingy", and see there if they have the drivers...

e.g.

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back