Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changed from 3.12 to 5.1, program will no longer connect to servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

michko

Programmer
Oct 24, 2002
US
My company recently changed from Netware 3.12 to 5.1. Under 3.12 we had a program (written in an older version, not sure which, of VB) that went out to each of our file servers (about 35), retrieved a .rpt file, and copied the info into an excel spreadsheet. Now that we're under 5.1, whenever this program is run it will not connect to any of the servers, just kicks out our unable to connect message. I really think the problem lies in the command used to connect to the drive, but have gone through doc on 3.12 and 5.1, and cannot find any changes that would cause this problem. The function used to connect is:

Function MapDrive(strShare)
On Error Resume Next
Net.MapNetworkDrive "N:", "\\" & strShare & "\SYS",
false, "Guest"
MapDrive = Err.Number = 0 'return true if successful
End Function

Any help on why this is not working on 5.1 and suggestions on how to fix would be greatly appreciated. If you need more code (up to and including the whole thing as it's only three pages long), just let me know.

I would almost say that its a rights issue, but without knowing what OS is running on your other file servers, it is hard to tell. Could you provide more info based on what is running on these other servers that the NW 5.1 server is accessing?

Thanks
Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

With more than 10 years experience to share.

All of the other servers are running Novell Netware 5.1. There is a user "guest" on each server that does not require a password to login.

Thanks

Mich Kobylarz

Mich

In NetWare 5.x, the user is defined not just by username but by login context also. I presume you know what context the user GUEST is in, so I am guessing that you will have to define this in your program (eg. .GUEST.ORGANIZATIONALUNIT.ORGANIZATION or .CN=GUEST.OU=ORGANIZATIONALUNIT.O=ORGANIZATION).

Failing that, you will have to ensure that:

a) there is an NDS replica of the partition where the GUEST account is stored, and

b) there is a bindery context set on the server of the partition mentioned in point a) -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back