Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changed field types breaking reports? (CR8.5 / VB6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen526

Programmer
Dec 28, 2004
US
I have a VB6 application that runs multiple CR8.5 reports connecting to SQL Server.

The SQL DBA recently changed several key fields in the database from "datetime" to "smalldatetime", and now about half of my users are unable to run any reports that use those fields. (The other half appear to be completely unaffected.) Users are getting a generic "707" error and the report fails to open. If the user opens the same report directly in CR8.5, though, it runs fine.

The Crystal versions are the same between a "good" and "bad" machines, and I'm stumped on where else to look for an explanation for why only some users are affected (and thus, stumped in getting them fixed.)

Any suggestions on places to look would be most appreciated.

When field types change, the database needs to be verified in the report in order to pick up the changes. If this is not done, then Crystal will throw an error. In the Report Options, you can turn on "Verify on Refresh" for a given report so that it verifies every time it runs. You can also set this as a default in the Crystal application options so that new reports automatically have it set.

Are the users on the "good" machines running the same reports as those on the "bad" machine? Do some of them have the full version of Crystal installed or are they all just the runtime?

How do your users log into the database for the reports? Are they all using the same user ID or does each user log in with their own ID to run reports? If they run reports under their own ID's, the user may or may not have rights to get the schema info to validate the database in the report.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back