Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changed domains now apps dont work

Status
Not open for further replies.

bErEsTh

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
US
I switched from one domain to another. Now most of my applications are not working. When I first went to user accounts I noticed that the group I belonged to wasnt on local administrator. Using the drop down menu I switched the account to administrator hoping this would solve the access to the programs I was using. It didnt. Any ideas or steps I can trace. Old domain is no more. Thanks

More details
XP Pro, SP2
No recent uninstall/reinstalls
No added hardware recently
No spyware, virus

Where are the shortcuts or links to these applications targeting or pointing to, does the location exist?

Migrating users to new domain
thread779-1042813

Took my work computer off of domain
thread779-1064263

Try using the Microsoft Profile migration tool to move your user profile from the old domain to the new one on the local machine. Also, if the applications you run are domain specific, such as ERP system, or database system, you will need a trust relationship between the old domain and the new domain in order to continue running thos apps.

Good luck.
Larry

The applications are pointng to c:\program files. The location does indeed exist. The application is 3d Studio max but I already know that this situation has to do with priveledges and there is hardly any action of the 3ds max forum.

I will try these suggestions and inform you both of my progress. Thanks.

What is the exact error message you are seeing?

Have you checked your Access Permissions for C:/Program Files?

Can you launch any of the exe from within Program Files?

The error message is "The program cannot access a system file, problem persists contact admin". The error message relates to 3ds MAx and the autodesk website says its an issue of permissions. I can ping server by name and ip address

Are there any error logs by the program that will tell you which file it can't access?

There is a forum which might help?
Autodesk Media & Entertainment

Administrator account has no permission
thread779-990138

Have a look at SubinAcl in this thread.
Not Getting a "Save As" dialog
thread779-962708

How To Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults

Not only check file permissions for c:\program files, but make sure that the permissions are correct for specific subdirectories for the failing applications. In other words, make sure that your user account, or a group to which your user account belongs, has the proper permissions to the application directories and files.

- Ravashaak

Its been a busy time. I will check the laltest tips and get back to you folks. I appreciate your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back