Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changed DNS but when I VPN in I get old DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

neodata

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2003
US
We have a Windows 2003 Domain. I recently promoted two Domain Controllers and demoted two old controllers from the Domain. As a result the primary and secondary DNS server addresses have changed. Everythink internally is working correctly. However when I VPN in to our network from the outside I'm given the old DNS server address. I'm using Cisco VPN Client 4.7 and i'm connected via our Cisco 3000 Vpn Concentrator which is within our PIX firewall. I've check the config on the 3000 and the DNS server setting under Interfaces was set correctly. However the DNS setting under Configuration-User Management-Base Group was incorrect. I corrected the configuation, hit apply and save settings. I rebooted the 3000 but when I connect I am still getting the old DNS ip address. The DHCP addresses for VPN are being given out by the 3000. Any ideas how to resolve this problem?

Do you have any hosts files on the machine you are VPN'ing into? What machine are you using to get into? Have you flushed the dns? Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you like fun and sun, check out Tek-Tips Florida Forum
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell."
Aldous Huxley (1894-1963), English critic & novelist

I found the problem! In the Cisco 3000 there is a base group and then specific groups that can be created. Each specific group can have it's own dns settings which may or may not be inherited from the base group. In my case it was setup to inherit the second dns and wins setting from the base group but not the primary dns. So the primary dns was incorrect on the specific group. Once corrected dns is now assigned correctly on incoming VPN sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back