Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changed AD usernames now have issues with My Documents redirection

Status
Not open for further replies.

disturbedone

Vendor
Sep 28, 2006
AU
AD usernames user to be initials eg ABC but they were changed to a unique numbering system eg 12345. Some users have reported issues with the My Documents redirection that is done via GPO. if it was a major issue I'd have had hundreds of users jumping up and down but it appears to only have affected a few. I suspect, at this stage, that they are laptop users and the issue revolves around folder synchronization.

Here's an example:
[ul]
[li]User was using domain\ABC until June 22 and then went overseas logging on locally with that user and storing files in MyDocs offline[/li]
[li]AD usernames were changed on June 30[/li]
[li]User returned to the office on July 22, connected to WiFi and logged on with domain\12345 and then noticed the files they'd created offline were not in MyDocs[/li]
[li]User domain\ABC had My Documents redirecting to \\server\folder\ABC[/li]
[li]MyDocs were syncing fine[/li]
[li]User went overseas and saved documents to MyDocs[/li]
[li]User returned and logged on with new username domain\12345[/li]
[li]MyDocs folder still shows redirection to \\server\folder\ABC[/li]
[li]Subfolder has the green sync icon and says there are unresolved conflicts and requests syncing (still lists location as \\server\folder\ABC)[/li]
[li]Choosing to sync says I can keep this version (which contains nothing) or delete in both locations (location \\server\folder\ABC doesn't exist!)[/li]
[/ul]

No matter how many times I run gpupdate /force it never changes the My Documents redirection to \\server\folder\12345.

[ol 1]
[li]Where are the docs that were created offline? They must be on the laptop somewhere[/li]
[li]Why isn't the GPO redirecting the MyDocs folder[/li]
[/ol]

Any ideas?

Have you run a GPO Report on the machine to see what policies are applying? I almost suspect a permissions in the GPO somewhere after changing the user name hasn't propagated.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back