Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change to new domain, rename server, & add patches..any warnings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMCRYER

Programmer
Jul 30, 2001
US
We are getting ready to do the following things with CE (8.5) and I thought I'd put this out and see if anybody could give me tips / tricks / warnings as to what I should be on the lookout for...

1. Move it into a new domain
2. Rename server
3. Add security patches

Tell me what other details you'd need to know, and I would greatly appreciate your feedback!

LMC

LMC cryerlisa@hotmail.com

select * from Management where proj_mgmt_skills <> NULL

0 records returned

personally, I would avoid this if possible. Rather opt for a reinstall on the new server in the new domain. Mostly beacuse the machine name is used for naming all of the server and is stored in the APS database. I think you see where this is going...

Renaming a CE system can be kind of upgly and changing domains can add, but this should be less of an issue since CE uses DNS to locate the servers.

Have a look through this doc for some additional info --

Cheers,

SurfingGecko
Home of Crystal Ease

Hi,
&quot;Be afraid, be very afraid..&quot;
I will add my personal bad experience to the voices telling you not to do that..
Due to some networking issues, our Network support folks recommended that I move my CE server to a new domain..Everything failed!!!
As has been pointed out, the services are tightly tied to the full machine name ( including the domain) - even when I returned it to its 'original' domain and created a new APS database ( importing the old one afterwards), I had 'garbage' servers listed in the CMC/CCM and determining which ones could be deleted ( instead of disabled) proved to be a real chore - I still have some listed that I cannot delete even though they are disabled..

In other words..Clean install on new machine in the new domain...Create the services, etc, import the old information using the Import wizard..

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back