Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change time server to new DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

lacasa

MIS
Jan 16, 2003
US
My original DC is Windows 2000. I added a new Windows 2003 DC and transferred all FSMO roles to it. My client PCs still sync time to the old 2000 DC. If I run net time at any client it gives me time on the old DC. How do I change it so clients get time from new 2003 DC? I have about 40 clients. I thought the clients would pick up time automatically from the DC with the PDC role.

Clients will sync time with whatever DC authenticates them, that DC in turn syncs its time with the PDCe.

Check to see which DC authenticated some of your clients by typing SET at a command prompt, look for the logon server setting.

Alternatively perhaps there is a group policy inplace that directs clients to your old DC, or maybe a net time statement in a login script.

Paul
MCSE 2003
MCSA 2003
MCITP Enterprise Administrator

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

I have the exact same problem with our 28 PCs. I didn't find an answer either.

I used scripted NET TIME = PDC but it only took for upto 30-35 secs. then the clients re-sync'd to the w2k.

I've looked at the GPs of both servers; nothing strange there.

I've even disable the WinTime Service (or thought I did) to no avail.

I tried using MS's manual TimeZone Editor program (TZEdit.exe @ support.microsoft.com/kb/158195/en-us ), in hopes of at least changing from 1 hour behind, still didn't work. Even tried it on the server, it didn't keep the change after just 1 reboot.

I tried changing the CMOS time on the w2k server, it took..but only for about 10 minutes.

My only recourse was to leave the BDC (w2k) server off. Or else, approx 15 would show a hour behind--syncronizing to the Windows 2000 server; while the others sync'd to w2k3 (our PDC).

The only thing I haven't tried was to disassociate each client from the current AD listing then re-establish an association to the w2k3 server.

I'd prefer to re-install the OS on those machines but they were given in a grant fund with specific instructions and software (of which I can't get a copy of/nor find the original disks to--thanks to the previous IT person.) So I'm stuck between a rock and a grant restriction.

If a solution is found, please post. I'd be most interested.

--MiggyD

--> It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's an OS update patch! Ahh!! <--

Thanks for clarification on sync process, but I am still having the same problem.

On my client if I type net time I get the time from the Jupiter DC.

If I type SET on my client I see that the logon server is the Pluto DC.

How does a client know which DC it will use to authenticate? Can you force it to one or I guess it does not really matter. If I demote Jupiter the client will find an available DC - in this case Pluto.

I got rid of an old enter.bat login script that did set the clock to Pluto, but that is the correct DC. Jupiter is the old 2000 DC. But I did not need this script anyway because the authentication process syncs the time??

I can't find anything in group policy, but I am still looking.

Getting the time server functioning properly can be a chore. What happens when you run dcdiag /c and get verbose response? At the very end of the report, what does it SAY your time server is set to?

If the 2000 server doesn't NEED to be a DC, then demote it. You'll find the time service will be on another server afterward.

Sure there are ways to change this without demoting, but why not just demote the old thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back