Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change time keeper on a domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

k3lvin

Technical User
Jan 13, 2008
GB
Hey,

We are in the process of migrating our DCs from 2003R2 to 2008R2. I have a 2008R2 DC which now all 5 FSMO roles on it and all seems to be working nicely. The one thing I can't get working is time.

If I run "net time" in a console on any client it still says "Current time at \\Old_DC etc..."

If I run "net time \\New_DC /set /yes" then run "net time" again it still says "Current time at \\Old_DC etc..."!

What do I need to make our new DC the new time keeper for our domain? (We only have one domain)

Hi,

The new DC (which is a PDCe) already has a online time source. The issue is how do I point the new clients to the new PDCe?

You don't point them to the PDC emulator, they will sync from the DC that authenticates them. The DCs will in turn sync upstream with the PDC emulator. It's all distributed and hierarchical. All you need to do is make sure that your PDC emulator is syncing with an external time source and that the DCs in your domain are syncing with the PDC emulator.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back