Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change Text Box Value When Changing Records 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikin9

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
US
I have an unbound text box in a Form footer that calculates work days based on two dates in a form. The work day value is calculated with code (per faq 181-261, which works great I might add). I have it working properly using a command button.

However, I want the value to calculate automatically for whatever record is selected with the mouse or nav buttons (as if it were simply an [EndDate]-[StartDate] calculation in a text box).

To my knowledge, there isn't an "On Change Record" event property for Forms. How can I get the control to calculate automatically?

Better yet, is there a way to run this same code calculation within the query for all the records?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks.

You can put a calculation in a query by creating a calculated field that points to a function defined in a module. Put your date calculation code in a function and have it return the result back to your query.

Good Luck!

vikin8,

It sounds to me like you want the form's on current event. It updates with each new filliing of a record from the recordset.

rollie@bwsys.net

Thanks for the fast responses!

Rolliee:
OnCurrent worked great, thanks!

SBendBuckeye:
That makes sense. How do you refer to a function in a calculated query? I've done some pretty involved calculated query fields, but I don't see how to pull the Function into it.

Thanks, I've got it.

Put the Function in a Module and then refer to it.

WorkDays: DeltaDays([StartDate],[EndDate])

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back