Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change storage locations of windows files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAceMan1

Programmer
Sep 23, 2003
US
Howdy all,

Looking to change the storage locations of win10 [blue]update[/blue] and/or [blue]restore point[/blue] files. The machine in question is an MSI gaming computer with near inadequate storage space on the C: drive. I expect another year or two of use will cramp the C: a little too much. There's a huge terabyte on the D:

Any Ideas would be greatly appeciated.

See Ya . . .

Be sure to see FAQ219-2884 Worthy Reading! [thumbsup2]
Also FAQ181-2886 Worthy Reading! [thumbsup2]

You can do what I did, follow these instructions to move the USER folders (Documents,Downloads,etc.) to another drive. Found Here

You can also setup swap files to be on the second hard drive. Swapfile.

You shouldn't move restore point from the drive the shadow copy is for, but you can reduce the number of restore points by limiting the space allocated for restore points.

Currently restore points are 100% tied to the partition they are made on and cannot be moved.

it used to be possible to move the storage location for Windows Update by using a symbolic link, but this is apparently not possible with W10 due to the way Windows Update now works (but I haven't tried it, so cannot confirm that this is really the case)

How are ya [blue]rclarke250[/blue] ...
As a matter of personal preference, I never use the system folders anyway. Also, any mention of a swapfile is the reason I have 16.0 GB of ram on each of my machines.

Gaming computers typically choke the c: drive, as well as turn off restore points. Noticing a little buggy behavior prompts me to turn restore points back on. But alas ...

See Ya . . .

Howdy [blue]strongm[/blue],

Always an honor.

I've decided to physically add an additional drive and extend the partition of the main drive. Thanks for the info as I forgot restore points are tied to their respective drives.

See Ya . . .

Yep, I agree, my first gaming computer had a 90GB SSD for C:, I have since moved up to 2 Samsung 500GB EVO in raid 0 for my C: drive and my life is a whole lot better. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back