Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change software default directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

PositiveD

MIS
Sep 18, 2002
PR
I need your help.

I have a machine running WinXP and I want the OS loaded on one HDD while all the software, personal files and junk on another Drive.

Is there any way to change the default Directory from c:\Program Files to whatever else I want ? This would be very helofull so I don't have to change this parameter everytime I or someone else installs some software.

WinXP automatically creates that directory during setup and puts a some utilities and small software in that directory. Is there any way to change that parameter during Installation?

Thanks.

The easiest way to change the default installation folder, is to edit the registry. (it may be the ONLY way).
Open regedit, and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current VersionIn the right hand pane, look for ProgramFilesDir
Right click, select modify, type in whatever pathname/foldername you want.
Exit, restart.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back