Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change Servers IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chupaco

IS-IT--Management
Aug 28, 2002
BR
I need to change the IPs address of my servers. I have SQL Server, Exchange Server, Logon Server, and Proxy Server. Actualy, its IPs are 10.0.0.3, 10.0.0.5, 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.10 respectively.
Anybody knows what can happend if I change theses IPs address to IP in 10.0.2.x interval? I'm sure I have to delete de dns cache and rebuild wins cache, but what else?
Tnxs!!

Are you using DHCP? If so you'll need to change all of your client info to reflect the changes you'll be making. Also everyone will need to release and renew their IPs so they can receive the new info.

Make sure your subnet mask is set properly or noone will be able to "see" those servers.

You'll also need to check all computers\servers static IPs to make sure they all point to the right DNS and WINS servers and have the right subnet mask.

CoolClark, yes, I'm using DHCP.
I've already changed the subnetmask of my servers, and relasing and renewing some clients IP address.
For SQL Server, I know it works using wins name resolution;
Exchange server, I'm not sure... The others servers, I'm not sure too.... :)
Let's see what will happend when I change, and I will report to you! Little crazy, isn't? ;-)

Tnxs!

For exchange server, if you change it ip address, there is no problem. but you have to change the setting in your firewall, and point Port 25 to your new ip

MCSE, MCP+Internet, CNE

Could you create another scope, put the new ip's in the new one, create a superscope containing both, then change it? I don't use scopes, but from what I've read, might be woth trying. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."
Jean de La Fontaine (1621-1695); French poet.

Superscopes are more for when you run out of ip adresses in your current subnet.

Thanks cool, like I said, I don't use them, and with 16000 addresses available for about 250 users, don't think I'll have to worry about it. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."
Jean de La Fontaine (1621-1695); French poet.

Tnxs for all!!
I'll finish the changes on the servers next weekend.
Certainly, troubles will be posted here!!

Steps that will be followed:
- Set firewall (port 25) for new ip.
- ipconfig /release and /renew in all clients
- ipconfig /flushdns on servers
- delete wins database on servers
- maybe create a new scope and superscope in dhcp server

Tnxs again!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor