Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change select criteria, copy report format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baggers2003

Programmer
Oct 15, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have the job of creating reports that have very similar format, but different data and hence select criteria. Is there an easy way to keep the report format but change the data? I know you cannot change the select criteria using Database-Show SQL Query, so I have been creating new reports, but as my layout conforms to none of the standard templates, and requires modification of the SQL data as the wizard cannot accurately reproduce what I want this is not an quick task. I have tried copying and pasting all the elements from the old report to the new, but this results in a blank page when I review it (even when I refresh, and check to ensure that the links are set up correctly).

How do experts make slight changes to the report when it involves changeing the select criteria and not something more simple? Perhaps one of you could give me some advise.

I am using Crystal Reports 8.5.

Cheers,
Steve.

Create parameters to select data ....

Reebo
UK

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Reebo,

Thanks for you swift response. However, as I am new to this I think I have made a terminology blunder. Does the solution change if you replace "Select criteria" in my previous post with the SELECT statement (SQL)? Sorry!

Cheers,
Steve

I am new to this as well so let me know if this doesn't help, but the SQL parameters for 8.5 are stored in Report-Edit Selection Formula-Record. You then use the listed fields to create an SQL style where clause (you don't need the where, but you do need and / or etc. You may need to remove all the criteria from the SQL query, or it won't know which criteria to use.

Hi Katy,

Thanks, I have tried going there, and you can select which fields to show based on their value using that option. What I actually need to change are the fields that are used in the query, and possibly even the databases too, i.e. the values that are included in the SQL SELECT statement, like this:

SELECT
CUSTOMERS."ACCOUNT NO",
CUSTOMERS."NAME",
SALES."VALUE",
SALES."COST"
FROM ... etc.

You can't change these values using Database-Show SQL Query, and when I create a new report with the new SELECT statement obtained from the wizard, it formats the report incorrectly. Copying the format from the old to the new results in a blank page (see original post).

Not sure about you but it seems to me Crystal isn't that friendly to us newbies!

Cheers,
Steve

I see...you can use the Insert-Field object if some other value from the table is selected but I don't know how to add more tables. I have had tried to do this too and I see what you mean about the formatting when the report expert is changed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back