Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change root passwords on hpux remotely script

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvitales

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2012
MX
we have over 100 servers hpux and I need to create a script that allows me to change remotely the root password .

we have all them on public network and they are 11.11, 11.23 versions.
Some have ssh and others simple telnet conection.

Thanks in advance

Sounds a bit risky to me ....

1) it means you have to be able to login remotely either as root or as another user and switch to root to change the pw

2) passing a root password across the Internet in plain text is risky

were you intending to do loop through all 100 servers and set them all the same or one at a time but scripted and with a unique/random password?

Do you have secure console access to the servers or will you only have internet access?

For the servers with ssh access you could just set-up a private secure key access for root (then if all goes west you still have key private key access).

Assuming you already have some ideas maybe share then with us so we can help?

Laurie

I would (and have in the past) use an Expect script to do this.

Alternatively, you could just set the password on one of them and copy the /tcb/files/auth/r/root file to all of them, assuming you have some kind of scp key access as described by Laurie above.

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back