Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change Raid1 to Raid5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rkruk

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2002
NL
Hi,

an IBM expert told me that it was possible to change my Raid1 configuration with 2 disks to a Raid5 configuration with 3 disks without data loss; an on-the-fly process. I have a rather hard time believing that, but he said it would be possible with the ServeRaid manager tool. Does someone have experience with this?

The IBM Expert is right,

There is a feature called the Logical Drive Migration. This is available within the Java ServeRaid Manager program.

I have used this extensively, and only had one fail. JUST REMEMBER TO BACK UP THE SYSTEM !!!!!.

I would also recommend you do this after hours when the server is not busy, and also ensure it is attached to a UPS. If the migration is interupted at any stage your data is GONE with no chance of recovery (other than the backup you just took).

Give it a go, you will be surprised how easy it will be..

Neil

Neil,

thanks for your response, I will give it a try, of course with a good backup. I won't believe it untill I see it. My mirrored disks are almost full, and the ServeRaid program would divide the information currently on it in a different manner across three disks; all my windows data would remain intact? Sounds good...

Thats correct, you will go from Raid 1 Mirror (2x 36gb = 36gb of usable space) to Raid 5 Stripe with Parity (2x 36gb = 72gb of usable space).

Good Luck...

N

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back