Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change order of startup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmoher

MIS
Apr 13, 1999
CA
Visit site
We have a few blind people working here that have speach software installed on their workstations. The number one complaint I get from them is: At bootup everything loads including the Novell login client but, the speach software doesn't load until after the user has logged in.<br>
<br>
This is a major inconvenience for these users. <br>
<br>
Is there a way to set this so that the speech software is loaded and active when the Novell client comes up?<br>
<br>
I have read somewhere that the startup folder loads things in alphabetical order. Is this true?<br>
<br>

To my knowledge you can load a program on the system just before the logon if you load the program in the registry under:<br>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices<br>
<br>
I could be wrong, but the RUN key is suppose to load things after the logon and the RUN SERVICES key is suppose to run things before the logon. Try that out and see if it works. Another option is attempting to load the program as an NT service and make it load at boot.<br>

I had also heard it was alphabetical by shortcut name in the startup folder. So test it by renaming the speech recognition to something beginning with underscore or a number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back