Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change Novell Password missing from context menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelDell

IS-IT--Management
Sep 24, 2003
US
I am trying to figure out why the "Change Novell Password" option is missing out of the pop-up context menu from some Novell clients. They range from the 4.83 SP1 to 4.92 SP2. Normally you would get this option if you right click the Network Neighborhood icon on the desktop or the red N in the system tray.

I have exported .reg files from the HKLM\Software\Novell key on workstations that have the menu item and those that don't and nothing stands out when comparing the two files. I suspect it is possibly a variation in a .dll between the clients.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions on where to look.

Even if the option was there, it would tell you to just press CTRL-ALT-DEL and hit the "Change Password" Button on there.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Home of the BLUEGUNK Punk

The client's with the option in the context menu aren't getting the message to hit Ctl-Alt-Del. The message you are referring to is when you have the User Administration and the Change Password setting under HKLM\Software\Novell\... enabled.

This is a seperate entry up near the top of the menu that takes you directly to the same applet that you get when you hit Ctl-Alt-Del.

Thanks anyway.

I guess I don't understand the problem. Why can't you just hit CTRL ALT DEL and skip the extra steps? Honestly, with W2k and XP, I've never seen the option you're describing. Maybe somebody else knows what you're talking about.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Home of the BLUEGUNK Punk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back