Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change name on marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

rewster

Technical User
Jan 14, 2002
GB
Hi

I have a mailbox enabled user with a login of "Ann Example", and she has recently got married and changed her name to "Ann Newname".

I can change the account login name (not done this yet) to her new name, but what happens to her mailbox as I want to rename that as well.

Some people have mentioned that I should create a new account and then copy her old mail to a PST file then import it to the new account.

Any advice apreciated

Thank you in advance

Paul Rewston

Hi,

Right click on the user and click re-name. This will open up a box. Change the name from old to new and then go to the e-mail address tab and chage his/her smtp address to the new name. That's how we do it.

Ash

I would not change her old name in the email addresses. Rather add a new SMTP address with her new name. That way she will still get mail from anyone using her old name.

Thanks to the both of you, I have used both your suggestions.

The exporting to an External PST and then importing must be for another issue, just wanted to check before I did anything.

Thanks again

Paul Rewston

Paul Rewston

I agree with you Nzarth. Adding a new SMTP will help, if that user is getting a lot of external e-mails. That would be a better option.

The first thing the user asked when I changed her account name was if she was going to still receive her emails to her previous email account, so this addition was useful

Paul Rewston

It may also be helpful to set her new SMTP address as the primary address. This is the address Exchange will use when she sends e-mail.

We actually forbid people from getting married or divorced here ;-)

Seriously what our policy is that we create a new SMTP address and make that the default address so that address shows up when they send out an e-mail. We keep their "old" address active for about 6 weeks then we make sure it is OK to remove that address.

Before we go through with all of this, our Help Desk makes sure that the person knows that when we make the change and delete their old address that any mail going to that old address will not be delivered and document that so that they can not come back and say that they did not know about that.

Another thing you can do is you are a super nice Exchange Admin (aren't we all though ;-)) is to create a "dummy" account that you can add the old SMTP address to and watch it for awhile to make sure no important mail is delivered to that address. You can create a rule that can send a message back to the sender saying that Sallys new e-mail address is xxxxxx@yyyyyy.com.

Just a few ideas.

I just add the SMTP address for newname and set it as default. Leave the old one in until she leaves and give the newname address as an additional address to her replacement.

This solves any problems of undelivered email later in life. Downstream her example name (maiden name) goes to our spam list for the server to accept emails and move then to our spam bin for review.

Since we get 1,000 per week there it isn't a problem to add a few more!!!

i've seen the same issue, to the best of my knowledge, you can not change the directory name in exchange. It is sort of a hidden attribute that is different from the Alias, Display name, FUll name or other attributes in Active Directory that you "can" edit.

The easy method might be to export out to the PST as AnnExample.pst, rename the pst file to Annnewname.pst and create a new domain account called annnewname.

Then import it all back in. the problem you might run into is with SID's, if ann example had specific permissions to objects, ann new name will need to be readded tothat.

Alternatively, you might be able to get away with renaming the active directory account, deleting the old mailbox after exporting it(back up as well first!), then creat a new mailbox and verify it has the new name. Then import back in. I have not tried this yet but it should preserve the SID and give you the new name as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back