Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change modem connection from serial port to usb

Status
Not open for further replies.

p2004

Technical User
Jan 5, 2004
PT
Hi

Windows XP SP2
I have a dial-up Diamond SupraExpress 56ePro.
It was working on the old hard disk.
Reinstalled XP on new hard disk.
What needs to be done to make the modem communicate through USB?
Thanks.

Are there any question marks or exclamation points in device manager?

According to the specs on your device i was able to find, your Modem is serial port external modem, as such it cannot connect to a USB port. Is there a reason why you don't want to use the serial port anymore?

Anyway, to answer your question, if you want a modem that can connect through a USB port you need to buy a new one.

Like these:

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Thanks for all the replies.

After putting back the old disk and checking the configuration, there is no mention of Diamond SupraExpress anywhere!

Instead I see this in Control Panel:

Connected using Modem-56K DataFax Modem PnP(Com1)
Networking : PPP.Windows 65/98/NT4/2000 Internet
Device name : 56K DataFax Modem PnP
Device Type : Dial-up

Any help?
Thanks

We really don't understand the question. Do you use the modem to connect to the internet? You're last post seems to indicate that it's working, only with a different name. Is it the connection to your ISP that you're having trouble with? Is it faxing that you're having trouble with? What happens when you try to use it? You need to give us something to work with here.

Hi

Things are ok now.
The modem was connected to the USB because it used a converter cable (serial to USB).
With the reinstalled XP in the new hard disk I couldn't configure the modem.

It works now and this is what I did:
Replace the serial-to-USB cable with a serial-serial cable.
Connect the modem to a serial port.
Win XP configures the 'new' hardware by itself, not using Supra's driver, but the driver XP finds most 'compatible'(???).
It works.
Then I replaced the serial-serial cable with the serial-to-USB cable and connected the modem to a free USB.
It works in the new position.

Interesting thing is that it works!

Thanks all.

Glad it's all working for you, although I cannot see the point of adding another piece of hardware into the chain when you could seemingly just leave the connection as a simple modem-to-COMport...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back