Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change logon admin password for Backup Exec services

Status
Not open for further replies.

richi23

IS-IT--Management
Jun 16, 2005
CA
Hi,

I've changed my administrator password, and just figured out that i also have to change the password with the new one on all Backup Exec services.

The problem is when i change the password on any service and click on Apply or OK, it takes forever, and ends up with a End Process screen.

Any suggestion to change logon password on Backup Exec services?

Stop all the BE services first and set to manual.
Change all of the passwords for the services.
Change Admin password.
Log off.
Logon.
Start all BE services.
Set to automatic.

Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers" service is stopping since yesterday. All the other Backup exec services are stopped (Never started).

I have version 9.0 on Windows2000 server. I've tried to do the changes on Administration Tools ---> Services, and also on Backup Exec --> Services --> Services credentials, but none of them works. It Stucks there trying to change the service setting for ever.

Can any body help me with that.

Something doesn't sound right. If this is your media server there shouldn't be a Remote Agent running. If it is a remote server, that should be the only BE service in the list.

Can you verify what you have loaded on that server?

I have all these services on my server setup to Automatic:
Backup Exec Agent Browser
Backup Exec Device & Media Service
Backup Exec Job Engine
Backup Exec Naming Service
Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers

and the remote agent is the only one using "LocalSystem", all the others are using "OurDomain\Administrator

I forgot this service on my list:

Backup Exec Server

That's your media server, it should not have a remote agent installed (unless you've got some strange virtual server running). The Agent Browser service sits on your media server and listens for Remote Agents that reside on other servers.

Uninstall the Remote Agent and see if the other services start behaving as expected. You'll probably have to reboot to get that hung service unstuck. Set all BE services to Manual before rebooting.

The problem is that i don't know how this was setup, a guy who left the company 8 months ago did the setup.
I'm just trying to change the admin password on Backup Exec services, but it doesn't let me to change even the startup to manual. It just stop responding.
I rebooted the server 3 times, and still not able to change the services.

Any idea??

Ouch. You could try booting into safe mode to see if you can set the sevices to manual from there. Otherwise it looks like a manual uninstall/reinstall to me. Maybe someone else has some ideas?

Sounds like to me he doesn't have admin rights to change the information. Logon as local administrator

We all have to remember, that the accounts running the services require Log on As Services rights...

Administrator doesn't have that right.

Usually, at the point of installation, a Netbackup or somethng like that - account is created with the given services to run Backup Exec.

I'm in the same boat here, as i'm coming into a new environment and finding the backups have not run for some time due to some account tampering..

This is a helpful thread to back track...

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

lawnboy what are you talking about every media server has the remote agent installed with it. This is the way it works.

When you back up a server locally it uses the remote agent to back itself up. If you do not beleive this watch port 10000 on the media server conect out and come back in on an RPC port.

Do a little research in the veritas knowledge base and you will find your answer.

c43: My mistake! It is a service in Windows. My Netware 6.5 media server doesn't have an RA loaded, but my W2K3 server does.

Apologies to richi23 for misleading him.

I have Veritas Backup Exec ver 8.5 running in my computer lab, recently I have recovered my AD2003 directory and now when I try to backup either the server that Backup Exec is running on or the Active Directory server I get an error when I try to backup the System State.
^^^^^
Unable to Attach to \\servername\System?State
access is denied

^^^^^
To backup or restore system state, administrator privileges are required.

I have checked and I even changed the backup exec services to run with adminstrator privileges.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back