Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change IP of VLAN 1 and Default Gateway on G450 remotely 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinney

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2004
US

Can you remotely change the IP of VLAN 1 and the Default Gateway IP remotely on a G450?

These are the commands I would do if I were directly consoled into the gateway. I don't believe the changes take effect until the chassis is restarted, but I'm afraid I might lose connection after the copy run start. Thoughts?

Clear the current IPs:
no default-gateway
interface vlan 1
no ip address

Then reassign the new IPs:
interface vlan 1
ip address [IP address] [subnet mask]
pmi
exit
ip default-gateway [IP address}

Copy new config to running config
copy run start

Reset the chassis for the changes to take effect:
reset chassis

- Stinney

“The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life.” - Confucius

This plan seems fine. You wont loose connection until you reset chassis. Doesn't hurt to have someone onsite with an Avaya console cable if necessary.

I was able to test this out and unfortunately as soon as you enter the commands:

interface vlan 1
no ip address

You loose connectivity.

I'm going to restore the ip address by connecting to the test gateway locally and then seeing if I do this process if it will work:

Clear the current IP for the gateway:
no default-gateway

Then reassign the new IPs:
interface vlan 1
ip address [IP address] [subnet mask]
pmi
exit
ip default-gateway [IP address}

Copy new config to running config
copy run start

Reset the chassis for the changes to take effect:
reset chassis

- Stinney

“The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life.” - Confucius

What do you have to work with? Someone who might be able to plug a cable in the 2nd LAN port and get a VLAN2 with IPs on the network?

If it's just a G450, maybe you can set a route to 10.0.0.0/8 with a lower metric out VLAN1 and a higher metric out VLAN2

If you can get a pingable IP out VLAN2, set it to PMI, reboot, reconfigure VLAN1 from there

Just enter the commands into notepad with each command on it's own line, then copy/paste the whole thing into the command line. This is what I use to remotely change IP addresses/information in gateways.

no ip default-gateway
interface vlan 1
no ip address
ip address 123.123.123.123 255.255.255.0
pmi
exit
ip default-gateway 123.123.123.254
copy run start
reset
y
#

Be sure to copy the hash tag after the reset confirmation or else the gateway will not reboot unless someone is locally onsite.

How do you get away with no ip-address when vlan 1 was PMI in the first place?

Does that not preclude you from removing the IP?

What I've been able to do so far with This guy's answer.

I can run the script, it appears it does run it but it doesn't show all the commands. I appear to lose connection when it changes the VLAN 1 ip. It doesn't appear that it gets past the copy run start.

I can access the gateway on the new IP, but the PMI has not changed, it shows the old IP as active and the new IP as pending. I did a copy run start and a reset chassis and now everything is set.

So what I'm assuming is that after I run the script, the network team would have to make their changes to that the port is on the new subnet and the IP is static for the gateway. Then I should be able to access the gateway on the new IP and get the PMI resolved and be done.

Next time we have a network change at a site, we'll probably arrange for someone to be on site that can console into the gateway (just in case something goes wrong) and try this new process.

- Stinney

i wonder if copy scp 1.2.3.4:/somefile to startup-config would do it?

Better be damned sure about that config though!

OOOOOOOOh, I like that idea. And yes, you better be damn sure about it.

- Stinney

You can configure the two lan interfaces on the g450 with differennt ip addresses and vlans. Then have someone move the patch cable. It can be tricky, but it works. Test in lab setting befor trying for real. Did it a few years ago during a merger.

Unfortunately, we don't have IT resources at every site. I guess in the past administrative people would help, but something, at sometime, went wrong and the person helping out got "in trouble" and now administrative staff will not touch any of the equipment.

So the solution I'm looking for has to be 100% remote, no touching the gateway.

Moving forward, I would want to make sure that any installations of gateways have mirrored ports. Then I think we would be able to remove the mirrored config, change the second connection to a new IP, connect on that IP, reconfigure the other port and re-establish the mirror.

- Stinney

Remotely changing IP address of G450

1. Take a backup of the config.
# copy running-config ftp filename ip
where filename is the filename and IP is the IP address of the FTP server.

2. Modify the file on your PC. IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and hostname. MGC list can be done later.
3. Push the file back to the G450.
# copy ftp startup-config filename ip
where filename is the filename and IP is the IP address of the FTP server.
After the above command you should still be connected (we only updated the startup config, not the running config).
4. Reboot the G450
# reset chassis
5. If necessary, you can now change the LAN port VLAN, etc..

Is there any way to get the file off the gateway using WinSCP?

- Stinney

I don't think so. I believe SCP to the gateway just gets you access to /annc

You have to push it out from the gateway

There's a CM somewhere, scp to /var/home/ftp/pub and WinSCP off that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back