Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change ip/gateway/subnet on pix 501 remotely? possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanebuss

IS-IT--Management
Dec 14, 2004
US
So this seems like something that would be easy to do... I have a remote office and the pix is moving to a new building. I want to change the ip/subnet/gateway remotely before they unplug and move to a new building, but i cant think of how to do it. Once i change the ip i'll get disconnected via ssh, before i can write mem.

I know i can add the default gateway as a secondary, but how do i address the IP change?

thanks!
Shane

Not sure, but how about putting a laptop on the WAN, plug the console cable on pix to the laptop, RDP/LogMeIn/VNC to the laptop and telnet/ssh to pix ?

How fat away is the new office? Would a UPS keep the Pix up long enough to get to the new office so you could reconnect and wr mem? That is almost comical.

Shanebuss,

I would use the backup and restore process to accompish this.

Use write net 192.168.1.1:name_of_back_up_file (192.168.1.1 being the IP of your tftp server) to back up your current config file.

edit the resulting backup conf file to reflect the subnet changes you need to make and save as different name.

Then use the copy tftp flash command to copy your new conf file into the flash.

You should then be able to unplug your pix and move it to the new location.

Just make absolutly sure your new config is completely correct before your copy to flash becuase if it failes you may need to connect via a console cable in order to correct it.

Good Luck,

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back