Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change IP Address 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jyrockck

Programmer
Jan 19, 2003
US
Is there anyway to change an IP address so that it is COMPLETELY different from the IP address I have now?

Thanks

This is in the hands of your ISP. Unless your ISP change your IP, then no. As for COMPLETELY different, most ISPs are allocated a specific range of IPs, and therefore to get something completely different, you need to change ISPs.

Although most ISPs use dynamic IP, the lease times can be quite long. If you're on broadband, you may need to unplug the cable modem (possibly for as long as 24 hours) to obtain a new IP.

Alternatively, you could route all your connections through a proxy server.

Most people ask this question because their IP has been blacklisted in some way - in which case the best advice is to send a polite email to the sysadmin which blacklisted you.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Assuming you are talking about your public IP address?

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

as manarth says, its down to your ISP..

depending on your ISP depends on how "different" your address can be.

If you are assigned a class A address, then only the first part of the address will always be the same...for example 81.x.x.x
if its class B, the first 2 parts will always be the same, and if class C, the first 3 parts will always be the same.

This is of course assuming that you get your address dynamically, of you are on cable...then your address will be static and you might not be able to change it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back