Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change ip address on nw6

Status
Not open for further replies.

reili

Technical User
Jun 27, 2002
NO
Need some advice.
How do I change the IP address on the server running NW6?

Changing your IP address in NetWare 5.x and above can be a pain inthe rump. It is recomended that you pick your IP address and stick with it. Only change it if you MUST change it. It's just not as simple as going into INETCFG and changing the IP bind statment. Because of the way NetWare handles security; the IP address is used for the new NICI foundation Novell is using for Certificate Services. So at a minimum, when yo change the IP address you must reissue the NICI. This TID from Novell goes over all of the areas you need to look at for changing the IP address in Netware 6.

Brent Schmidt CNE, Network +
Senior Network Engineer

Why do user go into a panic when a NetWare server goes down, but accept it as normal when a Windows server goes down?

thank's this saved my weekend

I have just done server installs at Novell Bracknell and having discussed with some of the techies in Europe support they cannot give a way of changing an ip address on Netware 6 so that ALL products/services will work after.

Neither can they find a guarenteed way of changing servername.

They sa at the moment it can't be done.

If the server is a simple file and print and you will NEVER want to use imanage, portal etc etc then change it and it will be ok. If any other services may be installed then a re-install of netware is the way.
Lee Smith
Associated Network Services
Snr Systems Engineer
Lee.Smith@ANSPLC.Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back