Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change internet addressing from one DOMAIN to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottSIT

Technical User
Mar 19, 2007
US
We have two domain names and two GroupWise Domains

widget.us.com -> domain1
mx record pointed to spam unit

widget.com -> domain2
mx record pointed to gwia
we changed it to
widget.us.com -> domain1
mx record pointing to spam unit

widget.com -> domain1
mx record pointing to spam unit

The internet addressing had has been changed but the DNS didn't get figured out until later. We have also turned off the domain2 groupwise system.

Considering what we have done, does anyone know why there would be so many more messages in the gwinprog folder for domain2. I should say that domain2 had been down for two months, and the gwinprog (message queue) had only filled up to about 174 in 2 months time. Seeing 600 in one day makes me think there is something odd going on with the message headers possibly?

I'm hoping someone with more knowledge on the matter can offer some incite.

Was domain 2 used as a GWIA domain?

Did domain 2 have any Post Offices?

Any mail not getting transferred?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt SPOOOOON!!!!! [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Domain 2 was used as a GWIA domain, and it had one PO. The mail being delivered might be moot because the system was considered to be off line for several months.

Everyone tells me to let it go, but i have some odd feeling that the headers for mail sent to domain2 got traped in the interim when domain2 and domain1 started pointing towards domain1's GWIA.

I'm not really experienced with it, but the jump in queued messages got me a little interested. I can't find information on it because I'm not sure If I'm asking the right questions.

thanks for any insight.

Do top down rebuild of your mail system when you get a chance to bring the whole thing down.

If the Domain 2 stuff is dead, then bring Domain 2 up once more if you can, delete the gateways and PO's, then shut down the domain and delete the domain. If you can't bring the Domain 2 up, you can still delete the stuff, it's just a little more painfull, slow, and not as clean.

It does sound like your getting messages routed to it, but if your users are not reporting messages that are getting stuck, then it can be just admin messages being sent to the domain every time there is a change to the Domain 1 ..

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt SPOOOOON!!!!! [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back