Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change id depending on url

Status
Not open for further replies.

kallywag

Technical User
Jul 6, 2004
US
Hi there,

I'm a total javascript newbie, but I figure my request is pretty basic for someone with any experience.

I have a navigation in unordered list < ul > format. I apply an id of "active" to the anchor <a id="active"> within a list item <li> in order to indicate the current section/page. Here is a sample of what it would look like for the 'about' section:

<ul>
<li><a href="/about" id="active">About</a></li>
<li><a href="/contact">Contact</a></li>
etc.
</ul>

I would like to generate the 'active' id automatically, I'm assuming by using location.href even if it means using absolute URL's. But the thing is I would like to have it so that it would apply the 'active' id to URL's such as domain.com/about and domain.com/about/philosophy equally.

So I was thinking something like:

function setactivestate() {
if (document.getelementbyhref) <-- I know this doesn't exist but that's where you're supposed to help me!
{
var nodeobj = document.getelementbyhref;
if nodeobj = location.href {
nodeobj.id = active;
}
}

I know this is probably very simplistic, but maybe someone could tweak it to work.

That looks good, however I still want the 'about' link to be "active" even when you're on, say, domain.com/about/philosophy.html, not only when you're on domain.com/about. Will it do this?

Oh, I didn't pick up on that requirement. I thought you were referring to a directory where the index page wasn't specified such as about/ rather than about/index.html.

I'm sure there's a way to do it but I'm not that well versed in javascript. Hopefully someone will come along who is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back