Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change Icon Image on Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Technical User
Jul 18, 2001
MD
I cannot find a meand of changing the displayed image for icons on the desktop. Can someone offer some suggestions or a method. I want to have all images show the contents like the adjacent icons:

Clipboard01_beswoc.jpg

Thanks, Dik

I don't think that you can change icons inside a pdf, but you can create an icon, place it inside a folder you control and change the properties of the launch shortcut to point to said icon.
For manipulating icons I use an old tool : icoFX. I'm sure you can find other tools.
Once you have your icon, use the shortcut properties to reassign it to your shortcut.

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

Looks like all those files are PDF files and your default app for these files is Adobe
Based on your picture those are not shortcuts, just files placed on your Desktop.

1[sup]st[/sup], 2[sup]nd[/sup], and 4[sup]th[/sup] icon shows a preview/content of the PDF file, but the 3[sup]rd[/sup] icon shows just a 'generic' Adobe icon for a PDF file.

There are many types of PDF files and Adobe may not be able to display the content of all of them in the icon.
Just a guess...

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

These preview icons may be generated by the PDF writer or a third party addon to Windows Explorer (example: Check the preferences in your PDF creator to see if there is a setting to generate icon previews.

Additionally, there may be content within the PDF file that makes it difficult to generate a preview.

thanks, gentlemen (binary term for PC)

I have also facing the same issue thanks for sharing the info to solve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back