Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

% change from same metric in different year

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTCMS

Programmer
Sep 17, 2003
US
I need to do a % change metric from the same metric but different time period. Currently, I've a attribute - country and Year, a metric - count.

E.g.
Year 2003 2004
Country Metric Count Count
U.S. 100 20
German 140 50
Japan 110 25

Need a metric to do something like below:

Year 2003 2004 %Change
Country Metric Count Count
U.S. 100 20 -25% (Here's how I get the -25%: (20/3) - (100/12) = -1.67 -> (1.67/6.66)*100)
German 140 50 30% ((50/3)-(140/12) = 5 -> (5/16.67)*100)
Japan 110 25 -9.96%

Any comments and suggestion are appreciated. Thanks alot.

You can use OLAP Services - this should be an easyone.
If you need the dynamic month numbers, you can create a metric that returns how many months are avail in this year so far, then sill uses the OLAP Service.

I'm kinda new to MSTR, for the OLAP service, are you referring to those OLAP functions, like applysimple, applycomparison? Thanks again for your help.

You can use Transformation to transform your "Count" to Metric "Count Previous Year".

Then you have the ability to use a compound metric - ("Count"/"Count Previous Year")*100. In column 3.

This is assuming you always want Year on Year (E.g: Run for 2003 - you would get 2003, 2002, %Yr 03 to 02 - run for 2002 you'd get 2002,2001, %yr 02 to 01).

If you want any years then you could prompt for a date in each of the two metrics that make up the compound.

Hi,

If I use the count Previous year, will the transformation roll up the number for the whole year? I'm not too sure if I can use the transformation, cux it's not exactly year on year. Like if you want to compare the number for 2003 and 2004, 2004 has only 4 months data while 2003 got 12 months, so I will need to average the count for 12(year 2003) and 4(year 2004). I dunno if the count with tranformation will do so?

You use a transformation table to do the transformation - therefore, it can cater for week on week by year etc without having to match up - you do not need to use dynamic dates, you can use your own date tables. For example, we have the same issue - Mothers day does not match up week on week over the year, so use a tx table to transform that week to another regardless of the true this week last year.

It you transform week ending then the 4 months you set for this year (so far) will match up on week ending transformation on a week to week basis to last year - i.e. the first 4 moths of last year - this usually is better than an average as averages take out seasonal peakss (xmass, easter, mums day, annual sales etc).

If you want 4 month against the average of 12 months then this is possible to - but may not be very useable.

(Sorry for any typos - been to a leaving do - under the affluance of inkerhol - or something like that :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back