Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change from default Oracle driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerllb

Programmer
Jul 13, 2002
HK
I have to run reports from CR using oracle.I believe CR will automatically use the driver from oracle client in my server machine. Is that possible to use my own driver (because I got a JDBC oracle driver)? If yes what should I need to do? Many thanks

Hi,
Is there a reason not to use Oracle's native driver( or Crystal's ODBC one)?

When selecting the datasource for the CR, does your JDBC driver show up as a choice under More Datasources?

[profile]

I am developing java application in sun solaris and it is using one of the JDBC driver. Therefore its best for me to use the same. Morever this JDBC driver supports the character set that I definitely need (GBK) but i am not too sure about the driver with oracle client.

I think CR naive driver is just the driver in translation layer. It still needs to driver from CR to do the transport underneath. Thats why in the menu they said oracle client is needed to be installed in the machine for oracle connection and the path to the driver got to be set in the env varialbe. Am i right?

Anybody can help me? Many thanks

The Oracle native driver does in fact use the Oracle client on the CE server - as does the CR ODBC for Oracle ( CRORA..)..

I do not see any reference on BO's support site about using a Java connection for the report datasource, so it may not be supported..

[profile]

This would be Crystal version based (something you should always supply when asking technical questions), and based on how the data is being populated in the report.

If you're passing a record set to the report, then using a Java ODBC connection in your code should be fine.

If you're using CR 8.5 or below and going directly against an Oacle database from within Crystal (not your Java code), do NOT use the Oracle supplied ODBC driver, it will cause numerous problems, some of which include decimals in the wrong location, incorrect number of rows, etc. I would suspect that a JDBC connection might have the same difficulties, but since Crystal has a native connection to Oracle, which is the fastest way to return data, just use that.

Hope this helps to clarify.

-k

synapsevampire & Turkbear , I understand what u guys saying. But I just want to ask if I can actually change the oracle client driver to my own driver or simply set that in CR or CE? Anyway, many thanks!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back