Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change Frame type to 802.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2001
US
We need to change the IPX/SPX frametype from "Auto Detect" to
"802.3" and it's Network number "00001000"
The systems do not have the same NIC installed but it is narrowed down to about 3 different models, all in Compaq Desktops.

Corporate MIS has installed a new switch and they want this changed on all desktops as they are losing connections. Since I cannot make changes to the switch I am forced to make changes to the desktop's IPX/SPX setting for the Lan card.
With 400+ system to take care of, is there any guidance for an SMS job?
The only thing that has come to mind is a registy edit but the keys are not the same.

My Level of expertise with SMS, 1 being novice to 5 being expert, would be a 1.5-2.0

I'm not too sure. You should probably start by making a query for NIC. Sort this query by model. And see how many different types of NICS are in your environment. (Hopefully, you only have a few different kinds.)

Now, find out if it is possible to make a simple registry edit to change the frame type. Edit the registry and reboot. See if that works on a few machines. (Verify that connectivity isn't lost.)

If the registry edit works, you can create a package for each different type of NIC card.

---hope this helps
Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back