Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change every 20th record in query

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2001
US
I want to change every 20th record in a query I've created. The first 19 would contain the same information but on the 20th one it would be different. This would repeat until the end of the dataset was reached and then the last record would be different as well. Can someone tell me how to do this?

Thanks

Susan

Susan, you're going to have to provide a little more information. First off, you don't actually "change" data that a query returns. A query returns data from a recordsource (a SELECT query, anyways) - and although you can frequently edit/change that data, you shouldn't think of it as 'changing data in a query'. This is kinda zen-like in its' characteristics, but it's an important concept to have clear.

Now, that said, is it that you want to CHANGE records in a TABLE? Every 20th record? Or what?

Generally, positionally based modifications to a relational db table are frowned upon, because the "position" is not constant - you should think of a table as just a SET of records, in no specific sequence or order.
The 20th record NOW might not be the 20th record LATER.

Give me some additional detail on exactly what you want this "20th" record to do/be, and perhaps we can help you out.

Jim

How many of you believe in telekinesis? Raise my hand...
Another free Access forum:
More Access stuff at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back