Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change Domain Name 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebatman

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2001
US
Is there a way to change the domain name on a windows 2000 server?

Thanks

The problem is that unfortunately I named the domain the same thing as their website so they can't get mail or get to their own website because of this. If there is a workaround for that, then I wouldn't have to rename the domain.

You can play with DNS records in AD, but if its only one server just demote it change the name and dcpromo it again. ALWAYS use .local for internal networks...write that 100 times (or cut and paste 10000 times...)

Alex

Can I do that if it is the only dc on the network?

If you put a host entry in DNS named give it the ip address of their website, they should be able to see the site. What is causing them to not receive mail? Is the mail server internal or external?

mail server is external at mail.xxxxname.com

You can only demote to remane if its only DC. This will remove the whole AD including users accounts and such. Maybe use ADMT to back up users first if you have 100 or so. Otherwise you will have to re-create them.

Alex

Setup a and a mail record in your local DNS to handle the problem.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

I have to agree with lander215, I set up my company's network the same way and creating a mx record in DNS worked fine.

Although, if I had to do it over, I would take AlexIT's advice and use .local.

Lander215, Massoger and TechMerlin, here's a star for you. Hit the nail right on the head. Great call.
[cheers]

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin check out Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back