Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change Desktop Settings for All Roaming Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

horizonsoffsite

Instructor
Mar 31, 2005
US
We want to add a desktop icons for all of our users. Where can I go to just adjust the current settings?

Unless you use a shared desktop you will have to script this.

copy "\\server\foler1\filename.ext" "c:\documents and settings\%username%\desktop" /y

this will copy the filename.ext or whatever you want to the users desktop. Make sure that you use the " " because if the username or the file has a space in it then it will give you problems. And the /y at the end tells it to answer yes to any prompts.

You would be better off using a VB script that can check if the file already exists so it doesn't keep trying to repeat the task, you will fing an example if you search the VB forum.

forum329

I have an example of creating icons via vbscript in my FAQ faq329-5798.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

I knew you had one somewhere mark i just couldn't remember which FAQ it was in.

My personal script repository is now topping 850 scripts, so chances are high I have a script for just about everything. :) Still, I'm amazed at all the great ideas I get from the questions on this forum.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

You can use GPO to add desktop shortcuts for all of your users :

Just create a GPO to all of your workstations with "\\user configuration\windows settings\administratives templates\desktop\active desktop\add/delete itens" enabled and and add all your shortcuts (space separated) .

You also must set the "\\computer comfiguration\administrative templates\system\group policy\user group policy loopback processing mode" to enable , because you´ll aply the GPO at your machines .

Regards,

Fbacchin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back