Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change default SMTP port

Status
Not open for further replies.

fieryhail

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2010
I've got a question which out to be simple, but wanted to check with others first to see if I would be causing problems by implementing such a change. I'm doing work for a client that has an Exchange 2003 server on W2k3 Standard. Outlook 2003/2010 clients in the office are fine connected in Exchange mode. However, to send/receive email from the outside, looking to use POP3 or IMAP/SMTP for both Outlook 2003/2010, as well as iPhone/iPad devices. On some remote locations, everything works fine, but depending on the ISP, some have port 25 blocked. So receiving email works fine, but sending is blocked. No way around the ISP limitation. I as wondering if I could setup a non-standard port for SMTP to accomodate these remote users, and if so, would it affect mail transport from clients within the office, and if this is a viable option, what would be the best method to implement such as change? I'm thinking about using port 587. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You'd be better off using straight Exchange ActiveSync for the mobile devices and RPC over HTTPS for the Outlook clients. Much more efficient, and it's supported on all of those clients.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Any suggestions for setting up RPC over HTTPS? Please keep in mind the client does NOT have a publicly signed SSL cert. So I'm guessing I'd have to do something along the lines of setting up a CA on Server 2k3, and going about it that way? I've never dealt with Cert. creation on Server 2k3, coming from a unix background here. Thanks again!

trusted certs are dirt cheap these days. And the setup is much easier with a third party trusted cert than trying to setup an internal CA, creating a cert, and getting it onto the machines.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back