Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change Default Screen Position for Windows Explorer in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAceMan1

Programmer
Sep 23, 2003
US
Howdy All ...

Searching for several days (on & off) results in no usable answers. No registry hacks ... nothing that works. So it appears this one can't be done.

Can anyone zero in on this?
Any help is fully appreciated.

Your Thoughts! ...

See Ya . . .

Be sure to see FAQ219-2884 Worthy Reading! [thumbsup2]
Also FAQ181-2886 Worthy Reading! [thumbsup2]

Doesnn't it just open where it was last closed?

That's certainly the way it works in other Windows OSs

I had Vista and IMO cca one half of the web sites didn't work with the IE (don't know which version), so I used alternate browsers like Firefox and Chrome.

End Of support of Vista is near, so it's not worth to waste the time solving Vista specific problems.

I have at my work Windows 7 and my children have on their notebooks Windows 10, so I was confronted with these versions of Windows very often and was very disappointed - and I in the end effect I changed to Linux.
Now at my home I'm using only Linux. My choice is Mint MATE and I'm very satisfied with it. Everything works fine, my old PC has more better performance with Linux as it had with Windows Vista ...
In difference with Windows, Linux comes battery included with software like LibreOffice and for me as a programmer it's a paradise, because there so many packages and installing is so easy and quick...

So my suggestion is: do not waste your time with the problems of an obsolete Windows Vista. MS did not support it because they want that you change to W10. Try instead an alternative OS, e.g. a live CD of Linux and when everything what you need works fine (network, USB keys, printers), you are ready for change.

To All ...

To clarify were talking windows file explorer.

By default screen position, I mean the position after boot which never changes!

This is not a pressing issue. Just wondering if a hack exists.

Your Thoughts! ...

See Ya . . .

If I follow what you are looking for, all you have to do is move the window/program to the location/size you want it and hold down the left Ctrl button while exiting out of whatever window/program you are in and it will reopen wherever you close it.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

You really shouldn't need to press CTRL at all for that to work with Windows Explorer, as we've previously alluded.

DrBob ...

Googled this to death before I posted. One of the responses was as you've stated. Another was the same only with the shift key. Others proved to be just talk. In any case, booting always resets the window near the top left corner of the screen. As a matter of fact, enough windows produced by the system seem to perfer this screen position.

Sorry to get back so late.

See Ya . . .

Since there still isnt a solution I will at least throw this out there in case you havent stumbled across it: (It is a third party app unfortunately which I assume you do not want but just in case...)

What is your HDD space situation like? Are you close to full? See article in case you didnt see on your Googly searches:
Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Dr, Bob ...

ThankYou!

See Ya . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back