Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change default port in W XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xkarlos77

Programmer
Jan 19, 2003
CZ
Hello,

can you help please?
I have installed Apache on Windows XP Pro on port 85
and IIS is running on port 80 (it is now removed, but when i type localhost I see my pages too !?)

Is there a way how to change the default port to apache??

(I want run apache after typing "localhost")

thanks for help

You can change the port apache listens on 'til you're blue in the face, but that won't change the default port that http traffic comes in on. When you type "localhost" in a web browser, the request will go to port 80 unless you specify a different port i.e. localhost:85. You would be much better off letting apache listen on port 80 and get rid of IIS.

I want have only Apache, but I can't remove IIS, when I remove it, the port 80 is still IIS and apache can run only on port <>80.

where is the problem ??

thanks

one way or another you need to stop IIS or you'll need to do port forwarding from your firewall or router. You can forward a public port to a private port. You could also do this via dns but not all dns services let you do that. If you don't want IIS then go to their forum and ask why it won't die. :) I have never used it so I can't help you.

Do a NETSTAT -a -o and grab the PID of the process that is listening on TCP-port 80 (http)
Switch to your task manager and add the column PID (under View ... Select Columns)

Search for the PID and voila you've got the service listening on port 80 ... if it's inetinfo ... its IIS ..
If it's something else .... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back