Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CHANGE DEFAULT INTERNET EXPLORER DOWNLOAD PAGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volkmaniac

Technical User
Mar 19, 2003
US
I'm trying to automate running scripts at night but I don't know how to change the default internet explorer download directory. Is there a way I can do this from the command line? I tried the following and it didn't work:

REGFIND -b \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download Directory\ -r S:\ACS

Use regedit /s filename.reg
As a way to push this.

See:
The issue is that you need to exit any IE sessions, make the change, then start the IE session.

If you use Scheduled Tasks to do a logoff or reboot, and set the regedit /s in at logon then the combination of a forced reboot with the script would handle the issue.

If you need to revert to the original settings after the late night sessions, include the original directory in the .reg file and use Scheduled Tasks to set a script to run regedit /s with this script at Startup as a schedule.

The issue is that is long as an IE session is active, changes in the background from the registry will be ignored. They are only read at the initiation of a new IE session.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back