Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change default install path

Status
Not open for further replies.

gulfdiver

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2001
US
Is there a way to change the default install path for Windows 2000 Pro.. I'm doing a fresh install.. isn't there a hot key combination (like the F6) that allows manual install options?

Thanks in advance!

When you run the setup, it will ask you where you want to install it. Just change the location there.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

NT 4.0 asked you where you wanted to install to.. 2000 and up doesn't.. Anyone got any ideas?

It should ask you? Try creating a fake WINNT directory, prior to running the installation. That should be enough to get it to ask you.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I don't remember the specifics, but this is one of those many things that require you to set up a WINNT.SIF file on a floppy disk. If you google up winnt.sif you should be able to find more detail.

Microsoft dumbed down the installer to the point where you can't really control anything without WINNT.SIF. This is also how you accomplish changing the path of things like user profiles, or the "Program Files" directory, etc.

I did a Win2K install yesterday, onto a brand new drive. The setup asked me for the location of [windir], and I unimaginatively entered C:\Windows

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back