Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change DB Owner through Enterprise Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neozero

MIS
Jul 7, 2000
US
Running SQL 2000, can you change the DB Owner from dbo to whatever you want through Enterprise Manager, or do you HAVE to run a script? If you can do it through Enterprise Manager, please tell me how, because I can't find it anywhere what-so-ever! Thanks in advance.

-J

there is a SP available called sp_changedbowner.

never done it from the ent manager though...

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Under no circumstances would I ever consider changing the owner from dbo.

If you have one that is owned by someone else, I would write a script and run it from Query Analyzer. I don't know of a way to do it from Enterprise Manager and even if I did I probably would not do it that way as Enterprise Manager tends to take the less efficient way to do things. So it might consider creating a new database and copying the stuff to it and then deleting the old stuff and then renaming the database as a good choice. It certainly does this type of process if you change a table through Enterprise Manager.

If I were you I would start using QA for everything and get out of the Enterprise Manager habit. Your database will thank you.

incidentally loo up sp_changedbowner in BOL for how to do this task correctly through QA. But don't do it to change a databse from dbo to a particular person. I'm a firm believer that no database and no object in a database should ever be owned by anyone except dbo.

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back