Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change database name via a parameter in the web address

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanCN

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2006
US
I have an application that uses a SQL2000 back end. The application can have many instances. For each instance you just create another database on the SQL server. This particular server has 4 databases for 4 different companies that use their app:

APPDB_1
APPDB_2
APPDB_3
APPDB_4

I have designed a report that I want to use for all the database on this server but right now the reports are only written for the one. The report connect via the OLEDB driver for SQL server where I need the username, password, server, and database.

My web link works fine and I have an asp page setup to pass the username and password for each user, however I can't figure out how to pass the database name to the report as well so I don't have to create 4 versions of the same report (one for each company).

The OLEDB driver is configured with the following info:

Server = local
Database = APPDB_1
Username = CrystalWeb
Password = CrystalWeb (not saved)

I can override the Username and password with the users credentials by changing the like below

The web link is:

I would like to also overide the database name by a parameter or something in this link. This way I can setup and ASP page to get the user, password, and company and run the report against the right data.

Crystal Report 8 and the service is Seagate Page Server

Unfortunately, you can't change the connection through a parameter in a link. It's been over 5 years since I've worked with this older version of the software (I used to work in Seagate Info 7.5) and I no longer have access to any of that documentation. You'll probably have to access the report itself in your ASP page and set the data connection using the SDK prior to displaying the report.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back