Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change codec for SIP from G729 to G711

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinroc

Programmer
Apr 21, 2010
AU
We have customer who is running on SIP trunk. Right now they are using codec G729. But I want to know how can we change this codec from G729 to G711? What licenses they require? System is 3300 CXi and version is 8.0.8.8.

I'm not really sure you can turn off G.729 on a SIP call without having the carrier do it.
On an incoming call the carrier will request G.729. If the call is going directly to a phone it will set the call up at G729 - no license required. If the call is going to the embedded VM or an analog device the call will require a license and a DSP. Without them, it will set up at G711.

Why do you want to turn of G729 to a phone?

Dry Aquaman

Upgrade the controller and enable "Renegotiate SDP to enforce symmetric code" in the SIP Peer profile.

Knowledge is power, thats why we share!

Becareful for asking for G711, we have just been required to use G729 for all communication with our SIP providor AT&T. I have yet to receive confirmation from this, but we have lost features due to this. No more MOH outbound, only internal works. According to AT&T we may lose other features in the near future if we don't switch. Good luck.. I have a post going about it already if you care to read further.

Best Regards,

Trent Greenawalt
IT Manager
Milwaukee, WI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back