Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change ADSL modem to Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterd51

Technical User
Feb 22, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have XP sp2, with a USB ADSL modem.

When I click on IE or Mail it dials up an ADSL connection.

I've bought a USB/Ethernet router, loaded the drivers and the PC starts it up as a 'network connection', gets a DHCP address and then flashes the 'data' light... the network connection shows data in and out.

But I can't find how to associate the IE and mail icons with the new router. They both still point to the old ADSL connection and the new router doesn't appear in the 'connection options'.

Any ideas please?

Regards
Peter

Go to Control Panel, Internet Options, and click the Connections tab. Select Never Dial a Connection, and then click on LAN Settings (same screen but lower down), tick Automatically Detect Settings, and untick any others on that page. That should do it for your Internet browser.

You didn't state which e-mail client you're using, but assuming something like Oulook or Outlook Express, click on Tools, Accounts, Mail, then highlight appropriate account and hit Properties. Look for Connection tab and select LAN.

Hope that helps...
ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back