Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change a table link

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndieV

Technical User
Sep 2, 2001
CA
I've inherited a database that was a conversion from dBase III.

Is it possible to write a macro or sql expression that will allow the user to change a table link.

What I need to happen is for the user to select the company for which they will be entering information. All the information is entered in a transitional table. When the user selects the company the transitional table links to the correct company table.

There are over 100 company tables and most of them have thousands of records,so it would be preferrable to not have to combine them and slow down the database. If there is a way to update the links, it would make this a much easier process.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andrea

Im not too sure on this, but I think youd have to write a code module using VBA, this script would have to dynamically create a SQL object to create a new relationship link. Im pretty sure you need to use the ADO data connection objects for this task....

peace

From what you are saying your database is completely wrong.

Re-normalise it - you'll find it's very easy to move stuff around in Access. In no time you'll have a nice database without worrying about VBA.

It is a rule that you never ever need to disobey: first sort out the logic and design of your database. Then get your basic views and queries and most likely you'll have solved all your problems before you known it.
mike.stephens@bnpparibas.com

Also, if you don't feel like doing that, there are a TON of college students begging for internship experence. I had to takea year worth of database design classes myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back