Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change a logical volume minor number

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramal

Technical User
Sep 27, 2001
AU
I have a requirement to modify the minor number of a logical volume as a result of an MQSeries bug.
I believe I can edit the ODM with an odmchange in the CuDvDr to change this number but am unsure whether this will produce the desired effect - and as with all ODM edits (proceed with caution).
Is there a more durable/reliable/sensible method of changing a logical volume minor number so it will stick on reboot?
All answers welcome.

The safest way I know is to backup/delete/recreate/restore.

I have a solution to this problem.
The 'mklv' script calls on the lvgenminor executable which assigns a minor number to the logical volume. This is placed in the CuDvDr object class of the ODM.
By running just the lvgenminor routine with appropriate parameters you can generate 'dummy' minor numbers, without creating the LV, against a volume group by assigning the VG's major number as an appropriate argument.
I simply ran lvgenminor as many times as I needed to generate the dummy minor numbers. The next available minor number is then assigned to my real logical volume.
To remove the minor numbers use 'lvrelminor'
A curly problem but solved.
Thanks all AIX admins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back