Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chaintech GeFORCE 4 TI 4600 128MB DDR 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortml

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2002
US
Sysetm specs:
AMD Athlon(tm)XP 1700+ {1.47GHz}
640MB of DDRam
SB Live 5.1
GeFORCE 4 TI 4600 (The orginal card was a
nVidia GeForce 2MX 32 MB Graphics Card w/ TV Out)
Running on Windows XP Home Edition

Motherboard is an KT266 Chipset DDR ATX Motherboard Base System with onboard Audio which I disable in Bios (BIOS: 049840 Gigabyte GA-7VTXE+ BIOS Update vF3J)

also my ATX power supply has a total output of 300w max

I put the new GeFORCE card in my machine and installed drivers from the manufacter sight nvidia 2.8.3.2 drivers 3/8/2002. When I start a game it just closes the game and goes right back to the desktop (There is no errors or any given reason why the game closed). This will happen with any game old or new. I have tried differnt methods closeing out all running programs. Then I closed out hareware T&L & full screen (this is on MDK2 only) then I can play for quit a while, but I still cant play other games without it just closeing out. I have a 80mm bisket fan aimed at all the cards in the system and I left a space so the card can breeth systems temp stays under 100 deg. I'm at a lost and can't figure it out please aomeone help.

If needed I can give a complete list of all hardware in system.

Thanks desperate gammer,
mortml

Have you updated your mobo's chipset drivers?
You say you have 300W of power in your system. With a Geforce 4 4600 and fans running, there is a good chance you're running low on power.
Try getting a higher rated PSU, such as 350-400W. ~Apex1x
Miller's Law:
You can't tell how deep a puddle is until you step into it.

I Have updated the BIOS and the MB chipset. I have the latest drivers so far for the card. I have turned off the services on the card (admin tools > services). This so far has made a little improvment. I think I need to possibley get a higher PS maybe a 400-450 watt I hope that this does the trick.

Hi mortml:
Have you looked in Event Viewer for any clues?
(right click on My Computer and choose manage)
Application/System logs may have something that'll help.

Post back if you find something (there's a copy to the clipboard icon when you're viewing individual error messages) and we'll bird-dog it.
That's a pretty sweet setup you're running and it should do the job for you...

I'm thinking, too, apex1x's post may have gotten you there...300 watts is most likely too little, especially if it's not a high-quality power supply.

Yes, There is no errors at all there for the card or the game. I have done a hole bunch of driver updates. It seems to be doing the trick. If I have anymore more problems ill update the PS.

Thanks you all for the help.

Just to remind, always install the motherboards chipset drivers before loading the video or any other peripheral drivers.

~Apex1x
Miller's Law:
You can't tell how deep a puddle is until you step into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back